Page 1 of 1
Loud Screeching sound
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:10 am
by Noquacks
People,
1987 Sunbird, when I switch on the ac button to activate compressor there is immediately a loud screeching sound from the comp area. It stops after about 7-8 seconds. Vents put out ice cold ac. Then, every about 5 minutes the sound comes back, then again, goes away. Could it be the loose ac belt needing tightening? Maybe low on compressor oil?
Thanks, people.
Re: Loud Screeching sound
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:51 am
by Cusser
Noquacks wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:10 am
Could it be the loose ac belt needing tightening?
That should be easy enough to check.
I might pull the belt, and check any tensioners and AC clutch pulley bearings for drag or noise. And maybe install a brand new belt.
Re: Loud Screeching sound
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:40 pm
by Noquacks
Cusser wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:51 am
Noquacks wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:10 am
Could it be the loose ac belt needing tightening?
That should be easy enough to check.
I might pull the belt, and check any tensioners and AC clutch pulley bearings for drag or noise. And maybe install a brand new belt.
Thanks, Cusser. Good tips. Will try those checks this weekend!
Re: Loud Screeching sound
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 12:32 pm
by Noquacks
I tightened the belt a bit, actually, to the max setting, which I thought was not a good situation for a belt to tight on the max slider notch. Started the car, and the squeal almost disappeared. But i watched the belt as it turned with ac on, and the upper edge of it was wobbling a distance of say, 1/2" up/down. is that normal? It would indicate the belt could be stretched, right? Especially even with it being tightened to the max arc setting.